April’s digital faculty member is Alisa Drapeaux 

Each month, a faculty member, nominated by their dean, is recognized for their efforts to integrate innovative technology into their classroom. April’s digital faculty member of the month is Alisa Drapeaux, assistant professor in health sciences/director of health sciences internship, College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. Read an interview with Alisa below: 

What course do you use this technology in? Human Anatomy 

What type of technology do you use? Blackboard Collaborate Ultra (BB Collaborate)Panopto, Kahoot, and Anatomage 

In what context do you use this technology? Human Anatomy Lecture 

How does this type of technology align with your teaching pedagogy? Prior to lecture, I am using Panopto to record each lecture. I release the recording on Blackboard 48–72 hours prior to lecture, so students have a broad understanding of the content before coming to class.  

In lecture, I use BB Collaborate to provide both my in-person and remote students a synchronous format. BB Collaborate permits lecture slides, PDF files, and anatomical diagrams to be uploaded to the live session prior to lecture, which promotes instructor organization and preparation. Furthermore, BB Collaborate includes the digital whiteboard, which I use to draw flow charts, anatomical features, or create interactive study guides for both the remote and in-person students to view. All of these strategies help align with my teaching pedagogy to promote student interaction, engagement, and a flipped classroom. 

Where did you get the inspiration to make a change? The change to BB Collaborate was prompted by the pandemic, in order to provide a synchronous component for our 10-15% remote students in Human Anatomy. In addition, I partnered with Anatomage to provide interactive, cadaver 3D images to allow the students to improve visualization of the organ systems for the students.  

How long did it take for you to implement this technology? BB Collaborate was easy to navigate and configure for Human Anatomy. The tool bar, uploading of files, sharing screen, and creating the weekly sessions for lecture took minimal time. In addition, ITS provided several guides to assist with set up.  

Since transitioning to remote teaching, how has your use of this technology changed, if at all? Technology, Panopto and BB Collaborate, have improved my teaching pedagogy by improving student engagement and interaction in lecture. With pre-recording the lectures through Panopto for student viewing prior to lecture, the students are able to have a base understanding of the specific content prior to coming to lecture. Therefore, I am able to create a more ‘flipped classroom’ by using BB Collaborate in lecture with using the whiteboard features.  

Since transitioning to remote teaching, have you started using any new technology in your teaching? BB Collaborate, Panopto, and Anatomage are all tools that I have started to use to enhance pre-class preparedness and also engagement in class. With transitioning to full, in-person lectures, I plan to maintain the same format and utilize each of these technology tools as I believe it aligns with my teaching pedagogy to improve student engagement and learning.   

Overall, what lessons (if any) do you think you have learned while transitioning to remote teaching?  Although remote teaching is challenge, there are several technology tools that exist that create an active, engaged lecture. Instead of being a “sage on the stage,” the above technology tools promote a “guide on the side” if you utilize the interactive features (e.g., smartboard, breakout groups).   

Both before and during this transition, did Drake ITS assist you in implementing any of these technologies? If so, how? Drake ITS is “always there” to assist with any technology issues in the classroomresponding to a submitted IT ticket quickly, and also providing several guides on the ITS website.  

Are you interested in trying out new technology in your classroom? Want help from ITS staff? Schedule a technology adoption consultation

Want to learn more about using Blackboard Collaborate Ultra or Panopto in your course? Explore these resources from the ITS Knowledge Base: 

—Jon Hurdelbrink, CPHS, and Carla Herling, ITS