Important: Changes to grading at Drake

In March 2013, Faculty Senate passed a motion to change the grading policy “That Drake University extends to all instructors the ability to assign plus/minus grade modifiers in undergraduate, graduate and professional programs beginning with the Fall 2016 semester.” In order to prepare for the approaching implementation of the plus/minus grading policy, common questions about the new policy will be featured each week for the next several weeks. You can also access a full set of resources on the Student Records website.

Q:  How will this affect my grade point average?
A:   Grades will be assigned a corresponding quality point value according to the table below.

Grade Quality Points
A+ 4.00
A 4.00
A- 3.70
B+ 3.30
B 3.00
B- 2.70
C+ 2.30
C 2.00
C- 1.70
D+ 1.30
D 1.00
D- 1.00
F 0.00

Q:  I am a current student. Will the grades that I have earned up to this point be affected by this policy?
A:   No. The policy applies only to courses offered in Fall 2016 and later. For example, if you earned a “B” in a Spring 2015 course, it will not change to a “B-“ or a “B+”.

Q:  If I earned an ‘incomplete’ for a course taken before Fall 2016, but I complete my coursework during the Fall 2016 semester, can I earn a + or – grade for that course?
A:   No, because the course was originally offered/taken in a semester prior to the Fall 2016 semester.

Stay tuned next week for more Q&A.

—Submitted by Melissa Sturm-Smith, Associate Provost for Academic Excellence and Student Success