Student Success Spotlight: Timm Pilcher

Welcome back to the Student Success spotlight, an opportunity to recognize the people and resources that make a difference in Drake students’ lives. Each week, we’ll shine a light on the outstanding individuals and initiatives that contribute to the success and growth of our community.

This week features Timm Pilcher, Professional and Academic Support Specialist in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, who takes an innovative approach to office hours.

Tell us a little bit about your creative approach to office hours:

Tuesdays with Timm came about because of my love of walking the Bulldog Mile. Ideally I try to get out daily and walk a couple of laps, although some days are better than others. My Associate Dean, Dr. Kelly Bruhn, noticed this and asked if I would be willing to put it out there for students to join as an alternative way for them to connect to the School of Journalism and Mass Communication (SJMC) and their academic and career advisor.

What prompted you to make the change?

Most know I’m a pretty non-traditional person in many ways, and any alternatives that I can use to connect with students, I’ll try. Especially for EFRs, the college transition can be daunting, and I used to tell my high school students that they needed to bridge any barriers between themselves and their professors and advisors to ease that transition. This is just one bridge to use.

Talk about any differences you experienced in level of participation, student engagement, etc.

I think students can really relate to being approachable by any means, and I know that Tuesdays with Timm and the “open door” policy of everyone the SJMC make for a family-like atmosphere within the school, allowing for students to have better relationships and thus better outcomes and achievement.

What is your favorite thing about teaching and advising Drake students?

Oh my gosh, that’s a tough question. Coming from 30 years of working in public education (a field I never would have imagined myself getting into when I first went to college) I realized that I absolutely love working with students. They are smart, funny, and creative, and they bring a lot of energy! I consider myself a pretty high-energy person, so it’s a good fit!

Please share your student success spotlight ideas!  Email Melissa Sturm-Smith, Associate Provost for Student Success.