Deputy Provost 2:10: Books, breakfast, conversation, coworking, equity and inclusion

Each Tuesday in OnCampus the Deputy Provost shares two articles with a read time of 10 minutes.

This fall we’ll be reading two books as part of the Deputy Provost’s Books for Breakfast series:

The New College Classroom, by Cathy Davidson and Christina Katopodis, Thursdays, Sept. 22 and Oct. 6, from 8:30–9:30 a.m.  Please email nicki.kimm@drake.edu to sign up and get your book.

AND

Teaching to Transgress, by bell hooks, Tuesdays, Nov. 15 and Nov. 22, 8:30–9:30 a.m.  Sign up here.

On Nov. 4 from 2–4 p.m., I’ll be leading a session on meeting the outcomes related to the Equity and Inclusion requirement adopted by faculty senate 18 months ago.  Please sign up here, as soon as you’re able to commit, so that I can be in touch with some pre-session questions and homework.

Books for Breakfast and the Equity/Inclusion session are in Howard Hall, Room 210.

In addition, I’m going to be ‘working in public,’ and hoping for impromptu conversation, in several different locations this fall. I’d love the chance to catch up with faculty colleagues I don’t often see in my day-to-day deputy-provosting. Please come find me. Here is where I’ll be:

Thursday, Sept. 15, 1:30–2:30 p.m., Olin, 1st floor

Tuesday, Sept. 20, 1:30–3 p.m., Olmsted Starbucks

Wednesday, Oct. 5, 9–10 a.m., Cowles Reading Room

Thursday, Oct. 13, 2–3 p.m., Collier Scripps, 1st floor

Thursday, Nov. 22, 10–11:30 a.m., Olmsted Starbucks

Friday, Dec. 2, 1–2 p.m., Cartwright Atrium

And, I’ll be hosting light breakfasts (pastries from La Mie, hot tea/instant coffee) in Howard Hall’s Academic Affairs suite, on the following dates.  No agenda—just conversation about teaching, professor-ing, out curriculum, and Drake:

Tuesday, Oct. 4, 8:30–9:30 a.m.

Thursday, Oct. 20, 8:30–9:30 a.m.

Friday, Nov 4, 8:30–9:30 a.m.

Friday, Dec. 2, 8:30–9:30 a.m.

— Renée Cramer, Deputy Provost