Nov. 9–13 is Innovation and Creativity week. We have adjusted our schedule and pared back some events this semester. If you’re interested in learning more about The Bark Tank or the Lorentzen Hatchery pitch events, be sure to keep an eye out because we’ll be bringing those back in the Spring 2021 semester during National Entrepreneurship Week, February 13–20, 2021.
Careers in Social Change: Social Entrepreneurship
Tuesday, Nov. 10, 4–5 p.m., virtual event
In this panel series, you’ll hear from professionals who use their careers to create social change. In this session, panelists will present on the topic of social entrepreneurship. You’ll have the opportunity to network with local experts, too! Register.
Learn about Letterpress printing
Wednesday, Nov. 11, 9–11 a.m., virtual event
Professor Sarah McCoy will demonstrate live letterpress printing. The prints will be available on campus on Thursday, Nov. 12. Join via Zoom Meeting.
Learn how to use the equipment in the Innovation Studio
Wednesday, Nov. 11, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., live event (registration required)
Sign up to join Professor Chris Snider during Innovation Hours to learn how to use the equipment, and you can come back later to finish your projects. Sign up here.
For the rest of the week, in keeping with social distancing safety, we encourage you to take some time to to visit online spaces that may spur your creativity:
- The Drake University Anderson Gallery now has a YouTube Channel where you can watch live streamed events, videos of past artist talks, conversations with artists, demonstrations and workshops. Click here to launch art education at work!
- Take a virtual tour of the Des Moines Art Center. Virtual tours of their permanent collections allow visitors to click through the extensive collections as if they were at the museum, walking through the galleries. We highly recommend the Black Stories tour if you have not had the opportunity to see it in person.
- Check out a TEDTalk – learn how to spark your own creativity or innovative side. After viewing a few of these, do you want to give a TEDTalk and what would you discuss? TEDx is coming back to Des Moines in May 2021.
- The Des Moines Symphony has a new program, DMSO at Home. This project is aimed at connecting with our community online through videos, livestreamed concerts, and more.
- Put a mask on a cryptid. Draw or download a picture of your favorite cryptid (Bigfoot, the Moth Man, the Loch Ness Monster, etc. or pick a character from popular culture) and then draw or use collage to put a mask on them. Would they wear a surgical mask? A fabric one with flowers? Or try something different and create a zentangle. Just be creative and have fun. If you want to share your ideas with us, tag us on social media (Instagram: @drakeinnovation or @drakeeship; Twitter: @drakeinnovation or @eshipdrake).
— Stephanie Cardwell, Buchanan Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership