Drake University Science Colloquium Series

What: Drake University Science Colloquium Series: Life After Drake featuring Natalie Schmitz, PH’14
When: Oct. 20
Time: 6–9 p.m.
Where: Harvey Ingham, Room 135

About:
When entering Drake University, I dreamed of becoming a pharmacist but could have never predicted where that road would lead me. Drake gave me the tools to explore my career path. I had the opportunity to gain experience in several different settings including community pharmacy, social and administrative research, state legislation, teaching assistant, medication therapy management, the Food and Drug Administration, and drug development research. This ultimately led to my pursing a PhD focusing on the development and approval of treatments for rare pediatric neurological conditions. The experiences and ethics that Drake instilled in me has allowed me to power through obstacles and pursue my passions.

What: Drake University Science Colloquium Series featuring James Cloyd, College of Pharmacy, University of Minnesota
When: Oct. 21
Time: 12–12:50 p.m.
Where: Harvey Ingham, Room 134

About: James Cloyd will discuss his extensive work in drug therapy for seizure control. Most recently, Cloyd led a team of investigators who developed an intravenous carbamazepine product. Their work resulted in approval of the only intravenous carbamazepine  (CarnexivTM) product by the FDA on Oct. 7. The product is manufactured by Lundbeck. Carbamazepine, one of the most effective drugs in treating seizures, has lacked a parenteral dosage form since being used in the treatment of seizures for over 30 years.

—Sharyn O’Connor Beener, CPHS