Bulldogs of DU: Carla Herling

Carla Herling, Drake Technology Services

What do you do?
“I am the web communications and training specialist, so I do training for faculty and staff in the web CMS—that is the Drake website— and help with communications for DTS.”

What do you like about your job?
“One of the nice things at a university is that they value people with a variety of backgrounds and skills. I’m doing back-end coding, working on content, and helping people understand design elements. I like helping people and seeing that light bulb moment when they say ‘This looks better’ or ‘I get it now.'”

You have your master’s in art history and love museums—do you have a favorite?
“It’s too hard to pick one! I went to the Getty in Los Angeles, but that‘s more for the building and space. I love the Des Moines Art Center and the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis, where I grew up going. I’ve been to the Israel Museum in Jerusalem a number of times [she lived in Israel for a year] and it’s one of my absolute favorites. Their collection spans all of civilization.”

Let’s talk about all the different jobs you’ve had.
“I’ve been an academic adviser, I’ve worked at museums and in the graphic design department of an insurance company, I was an assistant registrar, I’ve done temp jobs. Probably one of my favorites was tour and volunteer coordinator at Terrace Hill during the Vilsack administration and part of the Culver administration. I just like to try new things on a regular basis and have never been a person with a set plan. I’m good at adapting.”